Not my "real" mom's homemade macaroni & cheese....but this recipe gives it a little more nutritional value to it while I am trying to eat healthy for 2 now :) I have to find recipes that I can fit into out lifestyle & something I will really eat...Ugh it's so hard trying to eat healthier and worry about eating enough protein & veggies, when I used to be able to just come home and eat a salad and soup and be done with it....I am hungry like every 2 hours now!! Last night I ate a huge meal around 6pm of chicken, mashed potatoes, biscuits & salad and I was starving by 9pm! Well, at least I don't feel guilty anymore picking up an extra biscuit to eat at dinner :)
Mom’s Best Macaroni and Cheese
~½ lb whole-wheat or soy small-shaped pasta, such as elbow macaroni or shells
~2 Tbsp butter
~1½ Tbsp whole-wheat flour
~1 cup non-fat milk
~1 cup shredded 2% cheddar cheese
~1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
~1 cup frozen peas, thawed
~½ cup cooked carrot slices
~2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
~1 Tbsp wheat germ
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat Add pasta and cook according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in small nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook until a paste forms, about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Slowly add the milk, stirring briskly. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring constantly, and cook until white sauce thickens slightly. In large bowl, combine white sauce with shredded cheddar and mozzarella.
- Place peas in a large colander in the sink. Drain pasta into colander. (The heat of the water will cook the peas.) Add pasta, peas, and cooked carrots to cheese sauce; gently stir to coat. Pour pasta mixture into a 9-inch round casserole.
- In small bowl, combine Parmesan and wheat germ. Sprinkle over pasta.
- Bake casserole about 10 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
- 1 serving = 340 calories
- Protein: 1½ servings
- Calcium: 2½ servings
- Green/yellow vegetables: ½ serving
- Other vegetables: ½ serving
- Whole grains: 2 servings
- Fat: ½ serving