Friday, February 26, 2010

creamy tomato pasta

Well you know I have a love affair with pasta...and Chad was not going to be home for dinner so...I decided to make this, because I didn't have any energy to go out and pick something up & I had to make do with whatever I had in the cupboards. I didn't have a jar of pasta sauce, so I used a can of diced tomatoes to start. This was really easy & definitely hit the spot! I also really wanted to use my new freeze dried spices I found up north at a Glen's supermarket....hello?! I have never seen these at my Kroger...these are the best invention EVER...now I dont have to waste $4 bucks on a bunch of parsley or basil, because I only use about a 1/4 of it and it goes bad....seriously try to find these if you can, I bought the parsley & basil since that is what I use most in my recipes, but also contemplated the sage & dill because you dont even have to refrigerate them & 1tsp of freeze dried is = to 1 tsp of fresh.
ingredients: serves 2
~1/2 box of whole wheat pasta (I used Barilla While Wheat shells)
~10.4 oz can of diced tomatoes
~1/2 c. cooking wine or sherry
~1/2 c. chopped onion
~1 tsp. fresh basil
~2 garlic cloves, minced
~1 tbsp. light butter
~4oz. cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat)
~1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
Cook pasta according to package.
In saucepan add butter and melt. Add minced garlic & onion and cook until tender. Add white wine and wait until it boils. Add in the diced tomatoes, cream cheese, basil & parmesan cheese. Boil and reduce to simmer for approx 2 minutes & serve over pasta. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment