Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Pecan Crusted Chicken & Roasted Carrots with Feta & Parsley


This was one of the best dinners I have made in awhile! The roasted carrots were awesome, so I am thinking I can use this same recipe to make other veggie sides as well...like Broccoli!
Adapted from Eating Well

Ingredients:
~4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds), (I used 3 large)
~1/2 cup pecan halves or pieces
~1/4 cup plain dry breadcrumbs (I used Panko)
~1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest (I used lime zest)
~1/2 teaspoon salt
~1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper, (see Note) (I used Chili powder)
~1 large eggwhite
~2 tablespoons water
~2 tablespoon canola oil

Preparation:
Working with one piece of chicken at a time, place between sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even 1/4-inch thickness.

Place pecans, breadcrumbs, orange zest (lime zest), salt and ground chipotle in a food processor and pulse until the pecans are finely ground. Transfer the mixture to a shallow dish. Whisk egg white and water in a shallow dish until combined. Dip each chicken breast in the egg-white mixture, then dredge both sides in the pecan mixture.

Pre-Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on the outside, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a baking sheet & cook in oven for 25-30 minutes.

Roasted Carrots with Feta & Parsley
(adapted from Martha Stewart, March 2010)

Ingredients:
~1 pound carrots, sliced on the diagonal (I used baby carrots & sliced on diagnal) 1/4 inch thick
~1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
~Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
~Crumbled feta cheese (I used reduced fat or fat-free)
~Chopped flat-leaf parsley (I used curly parsley)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 425°. In a medium bowl, toss the carrots with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. (I just placed the cut carrots on baking sheet and added olive oil, pepper & salt & mixed with hands) Scrape the carrots onto a large rimmed baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 25 minutes, until tender and lightly browned in spots.

Transfer the carrots to a bowl. Add crumbled feta, and parsley, toss well and serve!

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog and love it!! I nominated you for an award. http://imo-fwiw.blogspot.com/2010/02/you-really-like-me.html

    ReplyDelete