Friday, October 31, 2008

HOT SPICED SANGRIA

I took this picture 5 days after...I put the leftovers in a pitcher, and drank it over ice! Mmmm;)
I started looking for this recipe once I heard some of the girls talking about it on the KNOT (iheartkieth) LOL! I found this recipe on The Food Network, and immediately new I wanted to make it for Halloween eve for DH and I.
Since I had Chicken Cacciatore in the crock pot, I mixed all the ingredients in a pot over the stove...and left it on low after I let it simmer for an hour.

Ingredients:
~2 (750 milliliter) bottles of Rioja (Spanish Red Wine) I used Boones Farm Sangria ~ red wine, since it was $3.50 a bottle...The spanish wine was $15 a bottle! A good friend of mine suggested Boones, since her family makes Sangria often:)
~1 cup brandy
~1 bag frozen cherries
~1 bag frozen peaches
~1 orange, sliced
~2 cinnamon sticks
~1 cup simple syrup, recipe below
~Orange peel for garnish

Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Put setting on HIGH for 1 hour. Reduce to warm to hold temp. Ladle into glasses from slow cooker. Be sure to include some fruit in the glass ;) Garnish with orange peel.

Simple Syrup:
~1 cup sugar (I would only use 1/2 cup)
~1 cup water (I would only use 1/2 cup)
~1 orange, zested
Combine the sugar, water & zest in small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Stirring occasionally, simmer for 5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.

Enjoy;)

1 comment: