Tuesday, January 6, 2009

spicy creamy tomato penne


I made it to the gym after work today (yay)! So...I awarded myself with some carbs for dinner ;)
Atempt #2 at the Pasta Fra Diavolo...not quite, but getting closer I must say!! This was fab...a little spicy, but it was SO yummy & it definitely hit the spot! I LOVE pasta!! I topped it with a little bit of scallion. I mixed a few different recipes together to get this, but next time I make it I will add sun dried tomato & roasted red pepper instead of the crushed tomato! Also, chicken or shrimp would be very good added to this.

Ingredients:
~1 lb. penne (I used Barilla Plus penne)
~1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
~4 garlic cloves, minced
~1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
~1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
~3/4 tsp salt (I used less)
~2 tbsp. vodka
~1/2 c. heavy cream (I used fat-free half & half)
~1/4 c. fresh chopped basil
~1/3 c. grated parmesan cheese
~parsley dried, to taste
~1 green onion, chopped

Cook penne according to package; heat olive oil over med heat. Add garlic & red pepper & cook until garlic is golden brown.

Add tomatoes & salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover & simmer for 15 minutes.

Add vodka, cream, parmesan cheese, & basil to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add pasta, toss to coat for 1 minute. Top pasta with green onion & serve!!

No comments:

Post a Comment