Tuesday, December 16, 2008

HOLIDAY DRINKS & IDEAS


I'm having a party! Yes, I am so excited that this year I get to host a holiday get together with my girlfriends at our house! Many of you know that Chad and I got married this past May, and I had just moved into the house (fully) after our wedding. So this Christmas I volunteered to have everyone over for a gift exchange...I am going to be posting my ideas for food & drinks here...so I know you wont mind ;) I really LOVE Real Simple & Hostess with the Mostess for holiday party & drink ideas!! I think I am going to do a few festive cocktails like the ones below...


The house is decorated in mostly silver, winter white, and red, so I would like to do a white & silver decor theme for the party with red accents. I will take some pics & post them after the party Sunday. You will also get to see our new living room decor...I took a trip to the Pottery Barn Outlet at Birchrun & got some great deals!! (thanks to whoever posted the 50% PSA)!!


Peppermint Martini

~5 ounces of Chopin vodka

~2 ounces of white Creme de Menthe

~1/2 ounce of Peppermint Schnapps

~Mini candy canes

Pour all of your liquid ingredients into a shaker 1/2 full of cracked ice. Give a good 20 vigorous shakes and let the shaker rest for half a minute. Strain your lucious peppermint martini into 2 freezing martini glasses. Add a candy cane in each glass for garnish.

Makes 1 drink

Simpleton Cocktail

~1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) vodka, chilled

~2 cups (16 ounces) cranberry juice cocktail, chilled

~2 cups (16 ounces) pomegranate juice, chilled

~3 tablespoons fresh lime juice

In a large punch bowl or pitcher, combine all the ingredients. (You can cover and refrigerate for up to several hours.) Add ice and ladle into martini glasses or plastic party cups.

To Make a Virgin Version: Substitute 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) chilled lemon-lime soda for the vodka.

Makes 10 cocktails


Sparkling White Sangria

~1 bottle sparkling wine (such as Champagne or Prosecco)

~1 1/2 cups apricot nectar

~1 1/2 ounces triple sec


In a pitcher, mix together the wine, apricot nectar, and triple sec. Serve in wineglasses. Upgrade: Add 1 bunch frozen grapes to the pitcher before serving. I think I will add cranberries as below, for a dash of red!


Makes 6 servings



Add Cranberries to Holiday Cocktails
Freshen up your holiday bar with a tart twist

Use: Tarting up a holiday cocktail. Place three on a toothpick and serve in a Simpleton or a shot of OJ for a fruity infusion.

Reward: A swizzle stick that adds sass to your sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment