Sunday, November 23, 2008

ASPARAGUS WITH VIN SANTO VINAIGRETTE

Chad loves asparagus, and we usually cook the asparagus with olive oil & pepper over the stove or grill...tonight I wanted to try something different as a side dish with our pot roast! This is supper good, and I will make it again with a steak or chicken dish! This recipe is from my Everyday Pasta cook book. Please excuse my terribly chopped almonds...next time I will use a nut chopper, lol!

Ingredients:
~1 1/2 cups Vin Santo (I used red wine)
~1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
~1 tbsp. lemon juice
~1 tbsp. dijon mustard
~1/4 tsp. salt (I omitted)
~1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
~1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed
~6 bibb lettuce leaves, for garnish (I omitted)
~1 hard cooked egg, peeled & chopped (I omitted)
~1/4 cup chopped & toasted almonds (see below)

In small saucepan, reduce the Vin Santo or red wine to 1/3 cup over medium heat, about 10-15 minutes.
In a small jar or plastic container with a tight fitting lid, combine the reduced Vin Santo, olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper. Shake to combine, making sure the mustard is fully incorporated.

Bring a large pot salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the trimmed asparagus and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer the asparagus to a bowl filled with ice water and let cool, about 3 minutes. Drain the asparagus & pat dry with paper towels. (I drained and placed on a serving dish). Arrange the lettuce leaves in a serving bowl or dish, add the asparagus on top. Top with the hard-cooked egg and chopped almonds. Drizzle the entire salad with the vinaigrette. Serve immediately.

Toasting the almonds*:
Spread almonds on a baking sheet & place in a 350 degree oven for approx 5-10 minutes, or until fragrant & golden brown. Stir them once or twice as they toast & watch to see that they dont get too dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment